I can no longer connect to my gmail calendar since upgrade!!!

I can no longer connect to my gmail calendar since upgrade!!!

dianajsharkey
Apparently Thunderbird or Lightening updated and I can no longer sync with my google calendar which connects to my iphone!  So my desktop no longer connects to my iphone.  This is very frustrating when running a business.

I followed all instructions to load a new calendar, put in the google address (tried both private and public).  Still get a modification error and calendar keeps defaulting to read only. (despite multiple attempts to reset) The calendar will update once when I open it, but then I cannot add any new appointments from the desktop.

I am giving up on Thunderbird (which I have been using successfully for months) unless someone can provide a fix for this.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
STF

Re: I can no longer connect to my gmail calendar since upgrade!!!

STF
On 2017.08.21 22:08, [hidden email] wrote:
> Apparently Thunderbird or Lightening updated and I can no longer sync with my google calendar which connects to my iphone!  So my desktop no longer connects to my iphone.  This is very frustrating when running a business.

Do I understand you correctly?  Your TB/Lightning (of your desktop
computer) is connected to iPhone which in turns is connected to Google
Calendar?  Like this?

TB <--(sync)--> iPhone <--(sync)--> Google Calendar

Why don't you do like this?

TB <--(sync)--> Google Calendar <--(sync)--> iPhone

> I followed all instructions to load a new calendar, put in the google address (tried both private and public).

I'm using TB 52.3.0 and Lightning 5.4.3 after update.  It's connected to
my Google Calendar via CalDAV.  It's still working perfectly after
recent update.

I have no idea what private and public things you talked about.

> Still get a modification error and calendar keeps defaulting to read only. (despite multiple attempts to reset) The calendar will update once when I open it, but then I cannot add any new appointments from the desktop.

Try this:
* remove calendar
* open password manager and remove the credentials
* restart TB
* add a calendar again (directly to Google Calendar, not via iPhone)

> I am giving up on Thunderbird (which I have been using successfully for months) unless someone can provide a fix for this.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Re: I can no longer connect to my gmail calendar since upgrade!!!

gary.curtin
Are you using Provider for Google Calendar, or CalDAV?

I prefer Provider, and have not had any problems syncing in same setup
to what you use. STF said he uses CalDAV, but I have not had the best
result with that in the past.

STF

Re: I can no longer connect to my gmail calendar since upgrade!!!

STF
I have been using CalDAV since 2012 or 2013 without problem (except the
multi-realm hack which was not that hard once we know what to do).

What don't you get in CalDAV compared to Provider?

Remember, GCal Provider is using some proprietary protocol/standard and
the software is solely maintained by Philipp Kewisch.  He's quite busy.
If one day, he's no longer available for this software, and if Google
decides to change its proprietary standard, this software won't work.

On 2017.08.22 14:18, Gary C Curtin wrote:

> Are you using Provider for Google Calendar, or CalDAV?
>
> I prefer Provider, and have not had any problems syncing in same setup
> to what you use. STF said he uses CalDAV, but I have not had the best
> result with that in the past.
>
> On 21/08/2017 22:08, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Apparently Thunderbird or Lightening updated and I can no longer sync with my google calendar which connects to my iphone!  So my desktop no longer connects to my iphone.  This is very frustrating when running a business.
>>
>> I followed all instructions to load a new calendar, put in the google address (tried both private and public).  Still get a modification error and calendar keeps defaulting to read only. (despite multiple attempts to reset) The calendar will update once when I open it, but then I cannot add any new appointments from the desktop.
>>
>> I am giving up on Thunderbird (which I have been using successfully for months) unless someone can provide a fix for this.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions or help.

I can no longer connect to my gmail calendar since upgrade!!!

gary.curtin
Because I have a bunch of calendars in google (some shared some not),
with a single login of Provider I get all my calendars and my tasks.
When I setup CalDAV, I only get the default google calendar. It is a
hassle to go and set each up because I have to lookup all the details.

Now I also understand the difficulty with a single maintainer of an
addon. I had some addons years back that I really liked and used, but
they are no longer maintained. If Kewisch decides to go the same way,
well that would be a tragedy.

STF

On 2017.08.22 16:52, Gary C Curtin wrote:
> Because I have a bunch of calendars in google (some shared some not),
> with a single login of Provider I get all my calendars and my tasks.
> When I setup CalDAV, I only get the default google calendar. It is a
> hassle to go and set each up because I have to lookup all the details.

Indeed, in the standard of CalDAV, one URL is matched to one calendar.
So this "one login gets all the calendars and tasks" is very specific to
the "provider" add-on.

Let's hope, at least I hope, that further improvement to CalDAV can
implement "one URL to many calendars" feature.

For me, I jot down the URL's and put them in my Google Keep for easy
access.  It's still a little hassle though.

> Now I also understand the difficulty with a single maintainer of an
> addon. I had some addons years back that I really liked and used, but
> they are no longer maintained. If Kewisch decides to go the same way,
> well that would be a tragedy.

Same here, with newer and newer Firefox, more and more addons are dying
:(  For some simple ones, I'm able to reprogram them and make them work
again.  For others, I can only say RIP!