Re: Lightning and Android

Herb@UK
On 26.01.2017 10:35, Herb@UK wrote:

> On 02.07.2016 02:48, Herb@UK wrote:

>>> MyPhoneExplorer is free!
>>>

>> Thanks, but what about user-friendliness etc.?
>>

> Any further thoughts on this?
>
> I tried My Phone Explorer in the past but found it a little cumbersome,
> IIRC.
>
> Does BirdieSync meet the user-friendliness criterion?
>
> I dare say there is only one way to find out, i.e. try it :-)

It seems BirdieSync works quite well, but – shock, horror – I'm
nevertheless beginning to wonder whether I should consider switching to
Google Calendar, not least in view of the fact that it offers instant
synchronisation, without the need for a third-party application. Come to
think of it, I'll start a new thread on this issue.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

Re: Lightning and Android

B00ze/Empire
On 2017-02-08 07:24, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> It seems BirdieSync works quite well, but – shock, horror – I'm
> nevertheless beginning to wonder whether I should consider switching to
> Google Calendar, not least in view of the fact that it offers instant
> synchronisation, without the need for a third-party application. Come to
> think of it, I'll start a new thread on this issue.

There is a new player around for syncing: https://generalsync.com/en/

Made by a really nice developer of AddOns for Mozilla platforms; might
want to check it out...

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Re: Lightning and Android

Herb@UK
On 09.02.2017 02:07, B00ze wrote:

> On 2017-02-08 07:24, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> It seems BirdieSync works quite well, but – shock, horror – I'm
>> nevertheless beginning to wonder whether I should consider switching to
>> Google Calendar, not least in view of the fact that it offers instant
>> synchronisation, without the need for a third-party application. Come to
>> think of it, I'll start a new thread on this issue.
>
> There is a new player around for syncing: https://generalsync.com/en/
>
> Made by a really nice developer of AddOns for Mozilla platforms; might
> want to check it out...

Thanks, but this appears to be specifically designed for devices on a
LAN, "without relying on a central party nor the internet".

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

Re: Lightning and Android

B00ze/Empire
On 2017-02-09 03:51, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09.02.2017 02:07, B00ze wrote:
>> On 2017-02-08 07:24, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> It seems BirdieSync works quite well, but – shock, horror – I'm
>>> nevertheless beginning to wonder whether I should consider switching to
>>> Google Calendar, not least in view of the fact that it offers instant
>>> synchronisation, without the need for a third-party application. Come to
>>> think of it, I'll start a new thread on this issue.
>>
>> There is a new player around for syncing: https://generalsync.com/en/
>>
>> Made by a really nice developer of AddOns for Mozilla platforms; might
>> want to check it out...
>
> Thanks, but this appears to be specifically designed for devices on a
> LAN, "without relying on a central party nor the internet".

The original message in this thread ([hidden email]) starts with
"What tools are out there for synchronizing Lightning with an Android
device directly, without having to go through a server-based calendar
first?" --- This is exactly what GeneralSync does ;-)

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo  I'm a banker. Honest? No, the usual kind.

Re: Lightning and Android

Herb@UK
On 10.02.2017 03:05, B00ze wrote:

> On 2017-02-09 03:51, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 09.02.2017 02:07, B00ze wrote:
>>> On 2017-02-08 07:24, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> There is a new player around for syncing: https://generalsync.com/en/
>>>
>>> Made by a really nice developer of AddOns for Mozilla platforms; might
>>> want to check it out...
>>
>> Thanks, but this appears to be specifically designed for devices on a
>> LAN, "without relying on a central party nor the internet".
>
> The original message in this thread ([hidden email]) starts with
> "What tools are out there for synchronizing Lightning with an Android
> device directly, without having to go through a server-based calendar
> first?" --- This is exactly what GeneralSync does ;-)

Ah, yes, indeed, thanks for your patience :-)

I installed the app on my PC and my Android phone, and the two devices
are paired OK, but I can't get my existing Lightning calendars to appear
in GeneralSync. I followed the instructions at
https://doc.generalsync.com/en/guide/integration-thunderbird/, but after
choosing the option "Decentralized via GeneralSync", GeneralSync fails
to display my calendars for selection. I sent an email to the developer,
and I'll report back in due course.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

Re: Lightning and Android

B00ze/Empire
On 2017-02-10 03:15, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10.02.2017 03:05, B00ze wrote:

>>> Thanks, but this appears to be specifically designed for devices on a
>>> LAN, "without relying on a central party nor the internet".
>>
>> The original message in this thread ([hidden email]) starts with
>> "What tools are out there for synchronizing Lightning with an Android
>> device directly, without having to go through a server-based calendar
>> first?" --- This is exactly what GeneralSync does ;-)
>
> Ah, yes, indeed, thanks for your patience :-)
>
> I installed the app on my PC and my Android phone, and the two devices
> are paired OK, but I can't get my existing Lightning calendars to appear
> in GeneralSync. I followed the instructions at
> https://doc.generalsync.com/en/guide/integration-thunderbird/, but after
> choosing the option "Decentralized via GeneralSync", GeneralSync fails
> to display my calendars for selection. I sent an email to the developer,
> and I'll report back in due course.

Cool, let us know how it goes. It's too late for me; I'm using a gmail
account for calendar and addressbook syncing, but I may start over one
day and then I would give GeneralSync a try.

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo  Yoda of Borg am I. Assimilate you I will! hummm...

Re: Lightning and Android

Herb@UK
On 11.02.2017 03:24, B00ze wrote:

> On 2017-02-10 03:15, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The original message in this thread ([hidden email]) starts with
>>> "What tools are out there for synchronizing Lightning with an Android
>>> device directly, without having to go through a server-based calendar
>>> first?" --- This is exactly what GeneralSync does ;-)
>>
>> Ah, yes, indeed, thanks for your patience :-)
>>
>> I installed the app on my PC and my Android phone, and the two devices
>> are paired OK, but I can't get my existing Lightning calendars to appear
>> in GeneralSync. I followed the instructions at
>> https://doc.generalsync.com/en/guide/integration-thunderbird/, but after
>> choosing the option "Decentralized via GeneralSync", GeneralSync fails
>> to display my calendars for selection. I sent an email to the developer,
>> and I'll report back in due course.
>
> Cool, let us know how it goes. It's too late for me; I'm using a gmail
> account for calendar and addressbook syncing, but I may start over one
> day and then I would give GeneralSync a try.

Having tried Google Calendar for a couple of days, I'm coming to the
conclusion that the lack of control and display options makes it
inferior to such a degree that I'll probably stick with Lightning.

Meanwhile, Dirk Steinmetz (GeneralSync developer) has replied and
explained the procedure. It seems a little convoluted, but I dare say it
will be worth the effort. I'll report back in due course.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

Re: Lightning and Android

NFN Smith
B00ze wrote:
> On 2017-02-09 03:51, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Thanks, but this appears to be specifically designed for devices on
>> a LAN, "without relying on a central party nor the internet".
>
> The original message in this thread ([hidden email]) starts
> with "What tools are out there for synchronizing Lightning with an
> Android device directly, without having to go through a server-based
> calendar first?" --- This is exactly what GeneralSync does ;-)

And Smith still lurking in this thread...

That was my intent synchronizing an Android phone against an instance of
Lightning (actually on my computer, and not even through a LAN
connection), without using an Internet-based server calendar.  I'm
already doing that LocalSync and Outlook, but want to replace Outlook
with Lightning.  LocalSync works fine with Outlook, but doesn't support
Lightning, and the developer's first language isn't English -- as a
result, his documentation is on the sparse side, and what's there tends
to makes a lot of assumptions that you're fluent in Android architecture
(and running current versions of Android)

For me, I don't want to interact with Google any more than absolutely
necessary, and I have no interest in Google Calendar. My work uses a
Zimbra-based calendar, but our rules are that any Android unit must have
all the latest security updates from Google, and updates for my Android
have been abandoned (in succession) by my carrier, the manufacturer and
Google long ago.

I've installed GeneralSync, and dabbled with it a little bit, but
haven't really spent sufficient time exploring and getting it working
with either Outlook or Lightning, but the documentation is a whole lot
easier to wade through.

Smith

Re: Lightning and Android

B00ze/Empire
Hi Herb,

On 2017-02-11 23:53, Herb@UK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having tried Google Calendar for a couple of days, I'm coming to the
> conclusion that the lack of control and display options makes it
> inferior to such a degree that I'll probably stick with Lightning.

Oh, I don't use Google Calendar via Google, I use Lightning, but the
calendar is a Google Calendar via Caldav - it's just so I can have the
same calendar on my phone - If GeneralSync had existed when I got the
phone I would probably have gone that way instead.

> Meanwhile, Dirk Steinmetz (GeneralSync developer) has replied and
> explained the procedure. It seems a little convoluted, but I dare say it
> will be worth the effort. I'll report back in due course.

I'm not surprised he replied; he has been very nice in replying to me as
well. There is a Forum for GeneralSync as well!

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo  Oh dear, it's dawn again.