Re: caldav (ownclodu) sync massive Thunderbird slowdown

Re: caldav (ownclodu) sync massive Thunderbird slowdown

Klaus Moder
Hi Pierre,

thanks for your view of things. A second Profile is a Idea but only a solution for us techs, not for the secretary or other office personal...

Is nobody facing the same issues? Cant imagine that I'm the only one who uses the calendar for whole business week not just for private 2-3 appointments a week....

Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017 18:56:22 UTC+2 schrieb Pierre D:

> On 07/25/17 06:10, Klaus Moder wrote:
> > Questions:
> > - Am I the only one experiencing this problem?
> > - What can I do?
> > - Will this be fixed?
>
> I have been experiencing Thunderbird slowdowns (Windows 7 a year ago and Win10 now)
> beyond what I would consider normal.
>
> I am in the middle of typing an email and suddenly the characters don't appear. Or
> the cursor keys stop responding. If I click on the window, then it goes into "not
> responding" mode. Then about 30sec later (sometimes a minute), all the characters
> appear, or the cursor moves. Extremely aggravating.
>
> Lightning seems to be causing much of the slowdown. It gets way worse when an alarm
> is ABOUT to pop up. 5-10 seconds before an event triggers, Lightning will basically
> freeze (nothing responds), and then the event reminder pops up and steals the focus
> (another extremely aggravating feature).
>
> I am using 5 Google calendars with Caldav, and two Google holiday calendars. They are
> not all synced on the same schedule. Some every 5 minutes, some every hour, and
> others in between. I don't know what to do about all this, but you are not alone.
>
> About a year+ ago, I decided to run two copies of Thunderbird and two separate
> profiles: one with my mail and usual add-ons, and another with no add-ons at all
> except Lightning. At least it helped a little bit with the mail side, because
> Lightning was no longer running there. And the Lightning slowdowns can't be blamed on
> other add-ons since there aren't any where it runs.
>
> It is still not a good solution, and it doesn't address the Lightning slowdowns. Any
> ideas for relief?
>
> Pierre

Re: caldav (ownclodu) sync massive Thunderbird slowdown

wsm-2
You are not the only person.  (But I'm not speaking from personal
experience - so I don't have details)

On 8/3/2017 2:37 AM, Klaus Moder wrote:

> Hi Pierre,
>
> thanks for your view of things. A second Profile is a Idea but only a solution for us techs, not for the secretary or other office personal...
>
> Is nobody facing the same issues? Cant imagine that I'm the only one who uses the calendar for whole business week not just for private 2-3 appointments a week....
>

> Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017 18:56:22 UTC+2 schrieb Pierre D:
>> On 07/25/17 06:10, Klaus Moder wrote:
>>> Questions:
>>> - Am I the only one experiencing this problem?
>>> - What can I do?
>>> - Will this be fixed?
>>
>> I have been experiencing Thunderbird slowdowns (Windows 7 a year ago and Win10 now)
>> beyond what I would consider normal.
>>
>> I am in the middle of typing an email and suddenly the characters don't appear. Or
>> the cursor keys stop responding. If I click on the window, then it goes into "not
>> responding" mode. Then about 30sec later (sometimes a minute), all the characters
>> appear, or the cursor moves. Extremely aggravating.
>>
>> Lightning seems to be causing much of the slowdown. It gets way worse when an alarm
>> is ABOUT to pop up. 5-10 seconds before an event triggers, Lightning will basically
>> freeze (nothing responds), and then the event reminder pops up and steals the focus
>> (another extremely aggravating feature).
>>
>> I am using 5 Google calendars with Caldav, and two Google holiday calendars. They are
>> not all synced on the same schedule. Some every 5 minutes, some every hour, and
>> others in between. I don't know what to do about all this, but you are not alone.
>>
>> About a year+ ago, I decided to run two copies of Thunderbird and two separate
>> profiles: one with my mail and usual add-ons, and another with no add-ons at all
>> except Lightning. At least it helped a little bit with the mail side, because
>> Lightning was no longer running there. And the Lightning slowdowns can't be blamed on
>> other add-ons since there aren't any where it runs.
>>
>> It is still not a good solution, and it doesn't address the Lightning slowdowns. Any
>> ideas for relief?
>>
>> Pierre

Re: caldav (ownclodu) sync massive Thunderbird slowdown

gNeandr-8
On 7/25/17 12:10 PM, Klaus Moder wrote:
> We have no problem in web view of owncloud and also the sync to iOS and android does what it should in good speed.

Do you have a Lightning calendar sync'ing with any other remote calendar
system? F.e. GCal or fruux.
This only to understand if yr sync problem is with LG <--> OC. If you
don't have a problem with that, would that tell it's a problem of OC?