breaks in thunderbird 52

bb4034
none of the newest betas work for me either. did i break it accidentally?

Re: breaks in thunderbird 52

bb4034
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 10:27:23 PM UTC-5, Inglip wrote:
> none of the newest betas work for me either. did i break it accidentally?

Arch bug reports: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/53581

Re: breaks in thunderbird 52

WaltS48-4
On 4/5/17 10:23 PM, Inglip wrote:
> none of the newest betas work for me either. did i break it accidentally?

When Thunderbird updates, Lightning should automatically update along
with Thunderbird. It did for me upon pre-release testing.

Should be bundled with a fresh install.

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: breaks in thunderbird 52

italiangm1
When Thunderbird offers to update via pop-up to existing users on the Release Channel, you're right that Lightning should automatically update with a compatible version.

In fact, to quote https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Calendar/Integration-into-Thunderbird/ta-p/30027:

"Starting with Thunderbird 38, the calendaring extension Lightning has been packaged with Thunderbird. This is a big advantage for previous Lightning users, because a compatible version of Lightning is always available with Thunderbird. It is also a great opportunity for Thunderbird users that haven't been using Lightning as it becomes easier to process emails that contain invitations. "

However, when the upgrade to TB 52 was offered in the Release Channel, a pop-up advised the installed version of Lightning was not compatible and would be disabled because a compatible one wasn't available. So I canceled the update.

Why should anyone have to perform a fresh install of TB to get a compatible version of Lightning? The sensible thing to do is coordinate the release of both.

Re: breaks in thunderbird 52

bb4034
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 10:27:23 PM UTC-5, Inglip wrote:
> none of the newest betas work for me either. did i break it accidentally?

I've read this is an arch-specific issue. Is this yet another case of "distro meddling" but ultimately breaks things that wouldn't normally be the case on released (or even beta) versions on the main Mozilla site? Are we at a point in time now where we need to install FF and TB directly from the site and avoid the repos because the repos push out buggy software? (And yes, these are not "testing" repos -- these are mains.)

Re: breaks in thunderbird 52

WaltS48-4
On 4/7/17 3:25 AM, Inglip wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 10:27:23 PM UTC-5, Inglip wrote:
>> none of the newest betas work for me either. did i break it accidentally?
> I've read this is an arch-specific issue. Is this yet another case of "distro meddling" but ultimately breaks things that wouldn't normally be the case on released (or even beta) versions on the main Mozilla site? Are we at a point in time now where we need to install FF and TB directly from the site and avoid the repos because the repos push out buggy software? (And yes, these are not "testing" repos -- these are mains.)

Did Arch release a TB 52 already, and forget to update the Lightning version

I noticed when testing  Thunderbird downloaded directly from the site,
not the repo, on Ubuntu today, that when I updated from one version to
the latest, my calendar tab was missing.

I went to Help > Troubleshooting Information, saw that Lightning was
enabled, so I went to Events and Tasks and enabled Calendar. My calendar
tab was back.

--
Go Bucs and Pens!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS

Re: breaks in thunderbird 52

bb4034
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 10:27:23 PM UTC-5, Inglip wrote:
> none of the newest betas work for me either. did i break it accidentally?

why are my responses not showing up here? who are the mods here?

Re: breaks in thunderbird 52

Chris Ilias-4
On 2017-04-07 4:58 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 10:27:23 PM UTC-5, Inglip wrote:
>> none of the newest betas work for me either. did i break it accidentally?
>
> why are my responses not showing up here? who are the mods here?

Hi Inglip,
I'm the moderator here. Four of your messages have appeared in the
moderator que. Two were approved within an hour, one was approved within
10 minutes, and one was approved within 5 hours.

Did you send any other messages?
Are you not seeing those four posts?

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: breaks in thunderbird 52

bb4034
Hey can you guys do me a favor and delete this entire thread? Turns out this is an Arch-only issue and continuing discussion here wouldn't be useful in any capacity -- other than completely confusing most readers.

Thanks for deleting.